Americans are fond of referring to their country as "the greatest nation on earth". Until recently, I didn't believe any country deserved that description. But today I think there is a strong contender for the title.

China is the world's oldest living civilisation. It has recovered from over a century of colonial oppression and lifted its citizens out of poverty. As its growth continues, China is poised to become the world's largest economy and a technology leader that is second to none. By 2030, I believe it will be an indisputable fact that China is the greatest nation on earth.

I need to understand China, from a Chinese perspective. This is my journey.

Tuesday 16 November 2021

The Simplicity Of Chinese Grammar - 8 (Figuring Out Where The "Brackets" Go)

A sentence I recently came across on Duolingo confused me for a while, until I realised there was a very simple and basic rule that I should have used to interpret it. It's like knowing where the brackets go when evaluating a mathematical expression.

But before I talk about the sentence, let me provide an advance hint about the grammatical rule I should have used.

There are two ways a question can be posed in Chinese. One is with the toneless 吗 ma particle at the end of an assertive statement, the other is by immediately following the verb by its negative.

Example:

1. 你 中国人 ?nǐ shì zhōngguórén ma? ("Are you Chinese?", literally "You are Chinese person (question particle)")

2. 你 是不是 中国人? nǐ shìbùshì zhōngguórén? ("Are you Chinese?", literally "You are-not-are Chinese person")

Another example:

1. 你 ?nǐ yǒu qián ma? ("Do you have money?", literally "You have money (question particle)")

2. 你 有没有 钱?nǐ yǒuméiyǒu qián? ("Do you have money?", literally "You have-not-have money")

Remember these two styles of asking a question as I tell you about the sentence I came across on Duolingo.

有没有风险的投资吗?yǒu méiyǒu fēngxiǎn de tóuzī ma?

风险 fēngxiǎn means "risk", and 投资 tóuzī means "investment".

Duolingo's translation was "Is there a risk-free investment?"

I was puzzled. To my mind, this seemed to be asking the very opposite question, "Is there or is there not a risky investment?"

After a long time scratching my head, I realised that I was placing the "brackets" wrongly around the words in this sentence.

This is what I was doing, and I was wrong.

(有没有) (风险 的 投资) ?(yǒuméiyǒu) (fēngxiǎn de tóuzī) ma? ("Is there a risky investment?", literally "(Have-not-have) (a risky investment) (question particle)")

But the presence of the ma at the end should have alerted me to the rule that this was the first style of question, not the second. If languages could use brackets like mathematics, that would be a good way to show which words need to be grouped together. This was how I should have used the "brackets" on this sentence:

[ (没有 风险 的) 投资 ] yǒu [ (méiyǒu fēngxiǎn de) tóuzī ] ma? ("Is there an investment not having risk?", literally "Have a [ (not-have-risk) investment ] (question particle)")

In other words, the correct way to parse this sentence is not "Have you or have you not a risky investment?" but "Have you an investment not having risk?". The "have not" refers to the investment having a risk, not to the broker having such an investment.

What at first seemed to be a confusing sentence turned out to make perfect sense. I had simply forgotten a very basic rule I had learnt early on.

But what if I had in fact wanted to ask if there was a risky investment?

Why, then I should simply drop the ma from the end of the sentence! Then the 有没有 yǒuméiyǒu ("Have-not-have") would go together.

2. 有没有 风险 的 投资?yǒuméiyǒu fēngxiǎn de tóuzī?

In other words, this would be (有没有) (风险 的 投资)?(yǒuméiyǒu) (fēngxiǎn de tóuzī)? ("Is there a risky investment?", literally "Have-not-have risky investment")

Or I could use the simpler first style, keeping the ma and dropping the negative-verb 没有 méiyǒu.

1. 风险 的 投资 yǒu fēngxiǎn de tóuzī ma? ("Is there a risky investment?", literally "Have risky investment (question particle)")

No comments:

Post a Comment