Americans are fond of referring to their country as "the greatest nation on earth". Until recently, I didn't believe any country deserved that description. But today I think there is a strong contender for the title.

China is the world's oldest living civilisation. It has recovered from over a century of colonial oppression and lifted its citizens out of poverty. As its growth continues, China is poised to become the world's largest economy and a technology leader that is second to none. By 2030, I believe it will be an indisputable fact that China is the greatest nation on earth.

I need to understand China, from a Chinese perspective. This is my journey.

Sunday 26 September 2021

"Four Eyes" Takes On A Whole New Meaning In Mandarin

When Duolingo introduced the word 眼镜 yǎnjìng ("glasses"), I was surprised and confused. Hadn't I learnt this word before, and didn't it mean "eyes"?

I went back and looked up the vocabulary list that I maintain. Sure enough, the word for eyes was the same - almost.

眼睛 yǎnjīng was the word for "eyes" that I had learnt before. It differed from 眼镜 yǎnjìng ("glasses") only in the second character, and when pronounced, in the tone of the second syllable.

If you use the first (high) tone, it means "eyes". If you use the fourth (falling) tone, it means "glasses".

It drives home to me afresh why tones are so important in Mandarin. Can you imagine the bemused looks on people's faces if you tell them, "I seem to have misplaced my eyes. Have you seen them anywhere?"

你 看见 我 的 眼睛 了 吗?nǐ kànjiàn wǒ de yǎnjīng le ma? ("Have you seen my eyes?")

你 看见 我 的 眼镜 了 吗?nǐ kànjiàn wǒ de yǎnjìng le ma? ("Have you seen my glasses?")

No comments:

Post a Comment