Americans are fond of referring to their country as "the greatest nation on earth". Until recently, I didn't believe any country deserved that description. But today I think there is a strong contender for the title.

China is the world's oldest living civilisation. It has recovered from over a century of colonial oppression and lifted its citizens out of poverty. As its growth continues, China is poised to become the world's largest economy and a technology leader that is second to none. By 2030, I believe it will be an indisputable fact that China is the greatest nation on earth.

I need to understand China, from a Chinese perspective. This is my journey.

Wednesday 29 December 2021

An Apt Near-Homophone - 1 (Wolf Warrior Actor 吴京 Wú Jīng And The Word For Armed Police 武警 Wǔ Jǐng)

I stumbled upon a sentence that referred to the armed police, and found that the word was 武警 Wǔ Jǐng.

Something about it sounded very familiar, so I looked up the name of the main lead and director of the Wolf Warrior movies.

Sure enough, it was a close homophone, only differing in tone - 吴京 Wú Jīng.

How about that? A guy who plays a commando has a name that sounds like "armed police". [It would have been even better if 吴京 Wú Jīng had played the role of Captain Xing Kelei in You Are My Hero, since that character was a SWAT police officer.]

I'm sure I'll come across many more such examples, so I'm making this post the first of a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment