Americans are fond of referring to their country as "the greatest nation on earth". Until recently, I didn't believe any country deserved that description. But today I think there is a strong contender for the title.

China is the world's oldest living civilisation. It has recovered from over a century of colonial oppression and lifted its citizens out of poverty. As its growth continues, China is poised to become the world's largest economy and a technology leader that is second to none. By 2030, I believe it will be an indisputable fact that China is the greatest nation on earth.

I need to understand China, from a Chinese perspective. This is my journey.

Saturday 25 December 2021

OCD Rant - 1 (下 Xià And 上 Shàng)

Chinese is a remarkably logical and consistent language, perhaps the best-behaved of all the languages I've studied.

Yet there are a few quirks here and there that irritate me, and I'll document those as I go along.

The first one is about 下 xià (down) and 上 shàng (up).

下 xià is nice and logical. There's a frame of reference - a horizontal baseline and a vertical "wall", and then there's a downward stroke that unambiguously denotes "down".

So far, so good. Let's now see what the Chinese character for "up" is.

It's 上 shàng.

OK, it's got the horizontal baseline, and it's at the bottom. Very good. It also has the vertical "wall". Excellent. Now for the upward stroke, right?

Oh no, how disappointing! It's a horizontal stroke, not an upward stroke. Now this is going to irritate me throughout my life whenever I transact in Chinese. Part of my mind is going to keep striking at that horizontal stroke from below in a vain attempt to get it to point upwards.

And the tone could have been upwards too (sháng).

This is what I think it should have been:

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in my expectation. You know what the Chinese word for table-tennis is, right? It's 乒乓 pīngpāng ("ping-pong"). Notice how the two characters are almost exactly the same, but the stroke below is leftwards for pīng and rightwards for pāng?

Why not do that for "up" and "down" then?

Grrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment